After nearly 20 months, OpenClinica 3.1 is finally ready to meet the world as a production ready application. You may download OpenClinica 3.1 here. It has been a long and arduous road, but the final incarnation of 3.1 is the most significant leap forward for the OpenClinica clinical trials software.
OpenClinica 3.1 further accelerates clinical productivity and enhances the clinical trial experience in a number of notable ways:
- Improved data entry save time and increased performance for accessing large amounts of data. The architecture around the data entry process in OpenClinica was re-factored to allow more concurrent users accessing the system while conducting more intensive simultaneous processes. With this re-factoring, page turn times have seen a 10x (and sometimes better) speed improvement. At the same time, large extracts which had to be broken into smaller subsets in the past can now be executed in a single batch.
- Skip logic to ensure data entry users only see CRF fields and sections relevant to entering their data. When a user accesses an eCRF to enter data for a patient or subject, they will only see the fields pertinent to be collected at that time. Logic can be built in to the eCRF to show or hide additional fields based on the values provided in previous questions.
- Streamlined discrepancy and query management infrastructure that allows issues around questionable data to be resolved more quickly. A new interface for creating and responding to discrepancies, as well as new filters for query aging, to support faster resolution of data issues. The number of clicks for filtering/sorting discrepancy notes, viewing the data responsible for the discrepancy note, and returned back to your filtered set of reports has been cut in half.
- GUI-based creation, testing, and management of complex cross field/cross form multivariate edit checks. A simple drag and drop interface has been implemented to facilitate the faster creation of complex edit checks. This new interface interacts with authorized OpenClinica instances to speed up the study design process for OpenClinica Enterprise edition clients.
- Plug-in architecture for exporting data collected in OpenClinica which supports the transformation of data into any output format.
- OpenClinica Data Mart to easily report clinical trial results collected through OpenClinica.
These last two items have been covered extensively in previous blog posts. Please see Plug-in Architecture for OpenClinica Data Extracts and Video Demo of New OpenClinica Data Mart.
We will be hosting an OpenClinica Community Virtual Forum shortly to demonstrate some of these new capabilities. Also, keep this blog on your RSS feed or bookmarked in your browser, as future posts will dive into more details of the new features and functionality in OpenClinica 3.1.
- Paul Galvin