OpenClinica 2.5 has been going through rigorous testing over the last few months and we are finally getting close to releasing a production ready version of the application. There are currently 2 betas and 1 alpha available to the community, but shortly we will be having a Release Candidate available that has been subjected to full, rigorous testing procedures.
This Release Candidate will also contain scripts that will allow OpenClinica to run on the Oracle 10g database for the first time as part of a downloadable package.
As you can see below in another post about the release of 2.5, I mentioned it would be on August 29th. Mea culpa. Clearly, however, it is more important to issue a software product that has been fully tested (and retested) rather then putting a marginal product out just to meet a date. If only Microsoft realized this 🙂
The release candidate will be available to the general public on Wednesday morning, 9/10/2008, and we will be targeting a full production release within the coming weeks.
As we get closer to the production release, please check back for more updates. In the meantime here’s some Final Countdown inspiration from Europe.
We are getting very near to the release version 2.5 of OpenClinica, representing a major milestone in the development of the popular open source software for electronic data capture (EDC) and clinical data management. The release contains a number of exciting improvements, including:
– Rules engine for executing cross-field or cross-form edit checks and triggering notifications to users
– Scoring calculations (derived values) in case report forms (CRFs)
– New user roles for monitors and data managers
– Improved monitoring/query management tools and discrepancy note reporting
– Electronic signature capabilities
– Ability to copy and edit previously created datasets
– Improved auditing and logging capabilities
– Simpler CRF upload
– Improved support for CDISC ODM v1.3
– Support for Oracle DB Backend out of the box.
– Minor UI and application fixes from OpenClinica 2.2
– Improved performance and scalability
Over the past 6 weeks the core development team has been putting OpenClinica through a rigorous, validated, QA and testing procedure. There are roughly another 3 weeks of documented testing ahead of us. If you would like to try the latest beta version of the application, please download it from http://svn.akazaresearch.com/OpenClinica-2.5-distros/.
Thanks to everyone in the community who has contributed to this release and provided feedback during the alpha and beta periods!
As we get closer and closer to the production release of OpenClinica 2.5, stayed tuned to this space for additional updates.